Marilou es una profesora con amplia experiencia y preparación. Trabajadora incansable, inasequible al desaliento y con unos excelentes principios.
Ha impartido clases en tres continentes, varios países de distintas culturas, y habla cuatro idiomas. En Paraninfo se encarga de los cursos de inglés, tanto básicos como avanzados, por ejemplo: Preparación para exámenes de Cambridge, English Business, TOEFL y TOEIC.
Marilou, además, es una persona excelente: simpática, comunicativa y divertida. Es una de esas personas que se diría que tienen un don especial para enseñar. Sus clases son divertidas, amenas y muy productivas.
Su abuelo, de origen español, le decía de pequeña: "Marilou, aprende español, que un día te ha de servir en España". Ella no le hizo mucho caso. Quien le iba a decir que, después de vivir y enseñar en tantos lugares del planeta, vendría a la tierra de sus antepasados. Es muy querida, valorada y apreciada por sus alumnos: tanto por la excepcional calidad de sus clases como por su gran valía como persona.
- What did you study and what did you specialize in?
- I studied B.S.Psychology at University. I did a course in ESL and EFL General Methodological Trends and I also took up a teaching training course from Oxford University Press.
- What do you remember about your student years?
- Well, my student years were the best years I had. I was a normal student who enjoyed many things about school. It was a new challenge and an opportunity to expand my horizons both educationally and personally. Of course, the social aspect was immense fun.
- How and when did you start giving English classes?
- Back in the 80s, I used to travel around Asia, Europe and South America, and when I was in South America I decided to teach. I've been teaching English since then.
- What do you do in Paraninfo Language School?
- I teach General and Business English at all levels to people who want to learn to communicate effectively in today's world. I also help them prepare for the internationally recognised Cambridge, TOEIC and TOEFL exams.
- Apart from English, what other languages do you speak?
- I can speak Spanish, German, Filipino and a Visayan dialect.
- What do you consider your most significant weaknesses?
- I pay close attention to details which does result in a better quality of work and saves time down the road, though it does take more time front.
- What do you consider your most significant strengths?
- I have great communication skills and can deal with many different types of people of varying personalities. I get on well with anyone who delivers what they promise.
- What defines you as a teacher? What is your way of giving classes?
- I'm very patient and approachable. I try to focus on an integrated learning approach that is accessible to all levels and different learning styles.
- What do you enjoy most about your work?
- I get to meet people from all walks of life. Each class is different so work can never be tedious.
- How do you measure your own effectiveness?
- I measure my efectiveness by the results that I achieve. If there isn’t an existing measure, I’ll create one.
- How do you handle stress?
- I’m not the type of person that gets stressed easily. However, if in an extreme circumstance I did start to get stressed, I’d look to the cause of it and try to find a solution.
- What have you personally got out of your career as an English teacher?
- Without a doubt: friends, thousands of experiences and the years rushing past.